Lamu Old Town is the oldest and best-preserved Swahili settlement in East Africa, retaining its traditional functions.
It has hosted major Muslim religious festivals since the 19th century and has become a significant center for the study of Islamic and Swahili cultures.
As such, the top business ideas in this section will be business ideas that abide by the sharia law and are still as profitable as any other in the list.
Other Posts Like This
Here are some of the small businesses to consider starting in Lamu in 2021.
- Start a photography business – There are very many international travel blogs that write about Lamu as a tourist destination. Problem is, there aren’t as many photographs to accompany these stories. If you live in Lamu you can take photos and sell them on photo stock sites.
- Become an events planner – Lamu town sees lots of events happening every year. And there is more that can be done to improve those annual events. If you have what it takes, strive to become the go-to events planner in the region in 2021.
- Become a musician– There is no denying that artists from the coastal region of Kenya produce the best music. Are you such an artist that can move crowds with his songs? Consider becoming a recording artist in Lamu in 2021.
- Start an office supplies business – Apart from profitability, this business is also easy to start and requires minimum capital.
- Become a real estate agent – If you choose to do this business, do not forget to set up your social media pages and create a website for your real estate business.
- Strat a mini supermarket – This is one of the trending businesses in Kenya and it can be just as profitable as any other business idea on this list.
Add to the list. Comment with more business ideas for Lamu county.