“I missed more than 9000 pitches in my career. I lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I was chosen to make the final pitch, and I failed. I have failed times and more times in my career. It was because of this that I became a winner”
– Michael Jordan.Let that sink in for a second. Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. In fact, they call him the G.O.A.T. Despite his success, he has had his share of failures through mistakes. Why are you seeing this? As an affiliate marketer, you can learn a thing or two from his quote. First, you are bound to make mistakes. It doesn’t matter whether you are on the expertise scale; starting out or an expert, you will make mistakes. That’s how; ‘to err is human’ came about. But billionaire Warren Buffet (or was it his business partner Charlie Munger) who said something along these lines:
“You can learn from mistakes, but those mistakes don’t have to be yours.”As an affiliate marketer, as much as mistakes will be made, what happens after that is what counts a lot. Do you get up, dust yourself and continue or you give up and say affiliate marketing doesn’t work? To keep you on toes with your affiliate gig, I have compiled a list of common affiliate marketing mistakes that I see many marketers making constantly. You might have made them already or in the process. Not to worry though, I will provide the most suitable ways to avoid them. So, let’s get started, shall we?
- 1 Mistake #1: always selling instead of helping your customers.
- 2 How to help your customers instead of ‘selling’ to them as an affiliate marketer.
- 3 Mistake #2: Not sticking to one product and strategy.
- 4 Mistake #3: not paying attention to your website design and experience.
- 5 Want affiliate marketing success?
- 6 Mistake #5: Not trucking website performance.
- 7 How to track the performance of your affiliate marketing business.
- 8 Mistake #6: thinking that people will just find your website
- 9 How to drive traffic to your affiliate website in 3 steps.
- 10 Mistake #7: choosing programs with unmarketable products.
- 11 Mistake #9: thinking success is eternal and not constantly learning
Mistake #1: always selling instead of helping your customers.Yes, first thing that comes into your mind when you hear about affiliate marketing is ‘selling.’ I know the word ‘marketing’ is part of the affiliate marketing, but that’s not the whole picture. In fact, your primary role as an affiliate is helping your customers find the most appropriate solutions to their problems. Be it finding the right product for their hair or the perfect broker to trade online. However, affiliates sometimes tend to recommend any product to their readers – provided it can potentially earn them huge commission cheques.
This is the wrong way of approaching affiliate marketing.What you ought to do is help content consumers find the perfect solution to their problem. How is this different from ‘selling’? Well, when you help someone, you are putting their interest before your own interests. You want them to buy this product because it will help them and not solely because you stand to make something out of the deal. That’s the simpler explanation.
How to help your customers instead of ‘selling’ to them as an affiliate marketer.
- Promote products that you’ve personally used.
- Build relationships with your readers first before recommending products to them.
- Include all the information.
- When reviewing a product,
Here’s another common affiliate marketing mistake people make in digital marketing.
Mistake #2: Not sticking to one product and strategy.Ever heard of ‘shiny object syndrome’? This ‘disease’ is so common with online business owners. And those suffering from it have shows the following symptoms
- Promoting so many products without apparent reason.
- Always chasing after new affiliate marketing tactics or hacks.
- Suffers from chronic procrastination.
- Constantly looking for shortcuts to affiliate marketing success where none exists.
- Find a niche that you know more about .
- Identify an affiliate marketing strategy that works for you and stick to it.
- Instead of looking at other people’s successes and feeling sorry about yourself, talk to them and learn as much as you can on how they achieve their results.
- Do not pick a product just because you think it’s going to make you money.
- There are no secrets to affiliate marketing success. Consistency, working smart, and learning from your mistakes is the only secret.
Mistake #3: not paying attention to your website design and experience.Here’s the reason why I think this is the number one killer: Your blog is the face of your affiliate marketing business. It is what the customer interacts with first before they proceed to take your advice. Tell me this, what happens when they land on your website, find the following:
- Slow loading pages.
- Too many annoying ads blocking content and pop ups.
- Unclear navigation.
- Messy theme with shitty images.
- Use responsive themes that are mobile friendly.
- Make sure your readers can access a page in 1-3 clicks. This means you have a clear website navigation.
- Avoid excessive use of ads on your blog. Only put ads on strategic locations. Ads should not block your affiliate marketing content.
- If you must use pop ups, limit its appearance. Example, the reader should not see the same pop up twice under the same duration/session.
- Use caching technique to reduce loading duration of your website and avoid unnecessary plugins. They weigh down your website.
Interesting for you: – How to Start a Blog That Makes Money in 2020 (For Beginners).Mistake #4: not paying attention to the quality of content Allow me to say this: Many affiliate marketers think that the quantity of content they share substitute the quality. You can hear them saying: “It’s just a product review, I’ll copy paste from Amazon and sprinkle in my links then wait for my commission.” The sad news is they are still waiting for that commission. Why? Because as an affiliate, the customer you are serving doesn’t see ‘just product review’ it’s more than that. They see a guide to picking the perfect gift for her husband or an expert view of best forex brokers to build his retirement nest. But these marketers don’t know that. You see, quality content tramps quantity each and every time. What you do not realize is that the quality of content you share as an affiliate marketer reflects on your reputation. This is where consistency come in. Do you trust someone who always appears whenever he feels and disappears only to appear again months later? How to share quality affiliate marketing content consistently.
- Have a blog publishing schedule and stick to it. Consistency, consistency, always.
- Avoid niches with shallow depth.
- Have someone else proof read your blog posts before you publish just to be sure.
- Do not view the blog post a way to sell a product, rather write it in a manner that is helping someone pick an option or know the difference. In short, write informative affiliate posts.
Want affiliate marketing success?Be consistent with quality content and the results will come. But how do you know if what you are doing is working or not? Looking at the results of course. This brings us to the affiliate mistake starters make.
Mistake #5: Not trucking website performance.Quick question: How do you tell whether you are doing the right thing or the wrong thing? Assuming that there’s no one to point out to you, because that’s the case with owning an affiliate marketing business, there’s no one to make you accountable.No boss. You are on your own. The results of course is the litmus. If you are not getting what you had in mind when you were starting, something must be amiss somewhere, right? That’s what most affiliates do; just drop that link, forget about it only wait for the ching! chang! That’s the wrong way to approach affiliate marketing. And if that’s what you do, chances are you’ve been waiting for quite some time now. I don’t need to be a magician to know that because, in brief, there’s no marketing without measuring. As a result, if you are not tracking the performance of your affiliate website, you are in the wrong profession buddy. I wonder how you are going to learn how to scale your affiliate business when you don’t even know what’s working and what’s not.
How to track the performance of your affiliate marketing business.
- Leverage tracking tools.
- Build your own landing pages if you can.
- Go for affiliate programs that offer real-time tracking of users. If you can, follow a lead from the moment they click on your links to the point they purchase.
- Generate custom reports from Google Analytics.
- Frequently review your affiliate marketing campaign reports. Look at the best performing campaigns and try to understand why so you can replicate them.
Mistake #6: thinking that people will just find your websiteHave you heard of this phrase? ‘Build and they will come’ Sure, you can build a fast food stall around town and they (customers) will come but not with affiliate business. There’s nothing like ‘build and readers will come.’ I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
Interesting for you: – Affiliate Marketing for Beginners | 6 Steps to Affiliate Success in 2020.
- Demo Account
- :MT4 Integration
- :Supports All Devices
- :Fast Payouts
- :Instant Deposits
- :Available on all devices
- :101 Trading Tools
- :Demo Account Available
- :Trading Signals Available
- :24/7 Support
- :Trading Community
How to drive traffic to your affiliate website in 3 steps.
- Understand your target audience; what they want, their pain points, what they are searching for online (find the keywords they are using), where they hang out online.
- Write informative content around those keywords (optimize it for search engines) SEO 101.
- Go where they hang out online and share links of your content.
- If you have a budget, use ads to drive traffic to your affiliate marketing blog.
- Build an email list.
Mistake #7: choosing programs with unmarketable products.As an affiliate, you are constantly looking for affiliate programs that can pay you as much commission as possible. The commission rate is on top of your check list. While there is nothing wrong doing that, the problem arises when you end signing up for affiliate programs with products that have no real value to the end consumer which means, the product is not marketable. And will only keep you up at night trying to figure out how to make a sale. How did you end up here? The 95% commission got your eye on and now, here you are: no sales, no commission. It doesn’t have to be like this. How to choose the perfect affiliate program that you will not struggle to promote.
- Before joining any program, do your homework by looking at the track record of the customer satisfaction.
- You are not the only affiliate in your niche, right?
- Pay attention to the company’s conversion rates.
- Choose a program that offers a product that you can comfortably recommend to your friends.
- Look at their landing pages and promotional materials, if they look crappy, chances are you’ll be having a hard time promoting that product.
- Test two subject lines and see which one hooks better.
- Try to see between plain and HTML email – which works best.
- Two images, which drives more engagement (preferably, branded and unbranded).
- Colors of the CTA (call to action) buttons.
Mistake #9: thinking success is eternal and not constantly learningI hate to break it to you: Success is not eternal. The results you are enjoying now came about because you kept on doing the right thing. And now that you are starting to see results, you sit back. Do not fall for that, because if you do, you might wake up one day and everything will be gone. How many successful affiliate marketers have been to the top and since they did nothing to ensure they stayed there, are now catching a bus to a 9-5 job they hate? Once you have seen a promise of success, sit down and take the lessons as well as strategies that brought you here. Then replicate the same with other businesses. This way, when one income stream dries up, you have another one to sustain your lifestyle. Of course not all of us will succeed at the same time.
Interesting for you: – 9 Online Jobs That Paid Me 305,867.51 Shillings in January 2020.Some affiliates will have to put in more energy and resources to see success. But this doesn’t mean they will never reap the fruits of affiliate marketing. So, if you are in the latter category, do not make the next affiliate marketing mistake Mistake #10: giving up too early. This is the most common mistake affiliate marketers make: giving up on their dreams. While there might be valid reasons to try your luck somewhere else, the following shouldn’t be among them. Giving up because:
- You didn’t get enough traffic quickly.
- You didn’t make money as fast as you thought you would.
- Are doing a lot of work but no results to show for it.
- You lost motivation and hence focus.
- You were not accepted to a lucrative affiliate program you wanted. Join Kingfin Affiliate Program.