In today’s post, I’ll teach you how to make money copywriting in India.
Copywriting is one of the oldest professions dating back to when printed papers first hit the streets.
The actual word ‘copywriting’ means the process of writing words aimed at selling products or services. As such, a copywriter is a person who writes sales pieces.
Other Posts Like This
Looking at advertising copywriting (later you will see how the two are related) actually dates back to Babylonian times.
As a beginner copywriter, this is where you will likely make a mistake.
You may start thinking that since this is such an old profession, it has lost its relevance. But has it?
I will give you that because perhaps you don’t already know that today, more than ever, copywriting is the pillar of online marketing (digital marketing).
This has been made possible by the emergence of the internet and web 2.0.
Well, it is safe to say that even though the principles of copywriting haven’t aged a bit, the forms or styles have,
For example, during its earlier days, copywriting was only presented through paper (magazines and newspapers).
Today, copywriting is mostly done online through ads, email newsletters, landing pages, videos, etc.
What Exactly is Copywriting?
It is the art of rearranging words to sell stuff. Instead of trying to push products down the client’s throats, you can instead use a persuasive language to make them buy from you.
Think of it as written salesmanship, but instead of being more ‘in your face,’ you are using ‘sweet’ language that leaves the reader to pull the wallet and buy instantly.
Yes, that is possible.
And those who have mastered this skill are sleeping well at night knowing that they never have to worry about cash anymore.
Because copywriters are the most in-demand people right now. Don’t believe me?
Look at these stats:
- Readers only consume 20% of content on a page (Study by Nielson Norman Group). Want them to read more? Implement copywriting strategies
- 73% of companies hire someone who will handle their content marketing (Content Marketing Institute).
- Freelance copywriters, like you, earn at least $250 per hour (Freelance Hacks)
This shows you how much copywriting means to today’s businesses.
How to become a copywriter
Before I show you how to make money copywriting in India, let me briefly walk you through steps you can take now and be a copywriter within 14 days.
First, ditch your college certificates because you won’t need them here. Copywriting doesn’t require any formal education. But don’t let this fool you.
It is a highly specialized niche that requires top-notch dedication and command of persuasive language.
Here are must-have skills for anyone interested in becoming a copywriter:
- Stellar writing skills – if you can write really well, it will be a huge boost to your copywriting career. English is the popular language here, so make sure you understand it.
- An eye for detail – proofreading skills is a must. You will need an error-free copy because your reputation as a copywriter rides on it.
- A curious mind – you will be writing about products or services you know nothing about. And only curiosity will get you through the research phase. Talking of research, look at the next requirement
- Top-notch research skills – you need two things to write persuasive copy: grasp the topic and deep understanding of the target audience
Once you have this within your reach, get into the basics of copywriting.
This is where courses and tutorials come in handy. And there are a ton of free materials out there to help you with that.
Finally, you are a copywriter, now what?
How to Make Money Copywriting in India
Armed with your skills, here are some ideas to make money in copywriting.
Become a freelancer
As we mentioned earlier, companies are constantly looking for skilled copywriters to help generate more revenue. And to prove that they mean business, they are talking with wallets on the table.
Remember on average, a freelance copywriter earns at least $250 per hour. Imagine what you’d be earning within a month!
Freelancing is the way to go because:
- You set your own rates
- Take on projects as you seem fit
- Dictate payment terms, whether you want to be paid per project or in commissions or even both
If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, follow these steps:
- Go to online freelance marketplaces like Upwork, Fiver.com and open an account
- Take on a few clients for free, and in exchange, ask them for a testimonial
- Build a portfolio there showcasing what you have done.
- Set your rates (depending on your income goals)
- Start sending pout pitches
Follow these steps and you will land a client sooner.
Write ads for clients
Have you seen all those ads on social media, whether Facebook, Instagram, or Google?
Hear me out:
Next time you encounter them, take a screenshot and start auditing them. Think about what they are doing wrong and that you can help them improve.
Armed with this information, go ahead and shot the owner a message explaining who you are and how you can help them improve their ads which in turn helps them sell more.
I promise you, no one will turn down the promise of increased sales.
Here is what your message should look like:
‘Hey John, this is Kenn, a Facebook ads copywriter. I came across your ad about XYZ and didn’t help but notice that it is missing ABCD. If you can change this to this, you can get more leads. If you need help, let me know, otherwise, excellent work.’
Sell products online
Since you understand copywriting so much, why not use it to sell your own products?
Yes, go ahead and pick a popular product online (and it doesn’t have to be yours, you can sign up as an affiliate).
Once you have the product, go ahead and write a sales copy promoting it, upload it online, and wait for sales. You can create a website or use free landing pages like Click Funnels.
Create and sell courses
This is for experienced copywriters. If you have mastered the skill, why not compress everything you have learned into a quick and easy-to-digest course.
This can be in the form of a video, eBook, or webinar. Then charge people to access the course.
Maybe you have discovered unique systems that have helped you ace copywriting.
Now, figure out how to make them replicable, put them into a step-by-step process, and package it as a course.
To make more sales selling your course:
- Create a free mini-course that gives an overview of the main course
- Offer really valuable bonuses like one on one sessions with you
- Implement down selling (offering something less expensive) and upselling (offering additional products after they have made a purchase)
I see a lot of copywriters pursuing this route and for a good reason. The margins are phenomenal and take less work.
Consulting and speaking
If you don’t want to do any work, this is for you.
Companies can hire you to help their sales teams write better copy. It pays really well and you don’t have to do any actual work.
Also, you can hold paid seminars and workshops around your hometown. Coach the local entrepreneurs on the best practices of copywriting.
What to do next after learning how to make money copywriting?
Go ahead and test out what you’ve read here.
Remember, when it comes to writing copy, there is no end to educating yourself. The day you will stop learning is the day you will become irrelevant.
Additionally, you need a way to invest the money you earn from your art. As such, search through this website to find guides on how to make more money.