How to Make Money Crocheting In India
In today’s guide, I will cover how to make money crocheting in India. But before that, let’s fully understand what crocheting is lest you confuse it to knitting or another thing on that line.
According to Wikipedia, crochet is:
“…the process of creating textiles by using a crochet hook to interlock loops of yarn, thread, or strands or other materials.”
Don’t confuse it with knitting.
What is the difference between crocheting and knitting?
Actually, on the face value, the two sound similar, but they are not.
Knitting makes use of two needles (pointed) to create the loops, and then moving the set of loops from one needle to the other, while the stitches remain held on the other needle.
On the other hand, crocheting uses only a single needle (hooked) to bring the loops together tightly on the piece.
One more difference:
Knitting takes more time as compared to crocheting.
As of which one between the two is easier, depends on what you are comfortable doing with your hands.
Someone may like knitting, because of comfort and skill.
With that out of the way, we can now discuss more on how to make money crocheting in India.
Whether you are looking to start a side hustle to supplement your full-time job, or just love crocheting and looking for ways to generate cash out of it, you are in the right place.
But before we dive into these ideas, I want to make a few pointers.
First, some of these ideas take time to yield results. You will need a lot of self-promotion before you start seeing results.
But hey, that shouldn’t discourage you. No chance for lazy people in this crocheting business. It demands dedication and consistency to see results.
The truth is, anyone can say set up a Facebook shop or even sell a few pieces. But it will take an exceptionally dedicated individual like you to make it a consistent source of income.
Sell your finished pieces
Since you have been crocheting for a while now, there is a high chance that you have made things you really don’t need or made them just for fun. Go ahead and put them up for sale.
Take pictures and upload them on Facebook. Let your friends and family have them. Allow people to buy your exceptional work.
While still on the same topic, if there is something you feel you can do a great job working on it, say beanies, baby cloth, scuffs, go ahead. People are more than willing to purchase beautiful handmade designs.
This idea is one of the easiest ways to make money crocheting in India simply because it is something you are already doing.
Tips to get started
- You don’t need a website or a shop to start selling your pieces. Use your friends to find clients. For instance, you can create a piece for a friend as a gift and ask them to refer her friends if she likes the item.
- Set a good price. Take into account things like the cost and don’t forget to value your time (though it is hard to quantify it).
- Join Facebook groups and engage with clients. Once in a while, showcase your designs and ask for the sale
- Attend local events and craft fairs around your home.
While this may make you money, the next idea is definitely the holy grail of crocheting.
- Invite custom orders
Unlike the previous idea where you are selling what you already have, here, you are taking custom orders from clients.
It is the perfect way of making money crocheting in India because the client gets a chance to have something really exceptional.
Additionally, since this is a custom order, you get a completely unique chance to charge premium prices because of the customization.
But remember, all of these cannot happen if no one knows that you are taking custom orders. So go ahead and inform them.
Tips to get started
- Be organized by keeping simple notes on all of your projects
- Give your clients options. Have different colors, finishes, personalization items like names on the pieces, as well as different prices
- Have different items like dolls, baby blankets, toys, etc.
- Once done with a project, keep the pictures to show your next clients what you do.
Believe me, this is your highway to consistent income from crocheting.
So far, we’ve looked at ideas that involve you working.
But what if you don’t want to do any work, can you still make money with crocheting in India?
Our next idea will answer this question.
Yes, you don’t have to actually crochet to make money with crocheting.
Instead of dealing with products, you can offer a service as a crocheting teacher/coach/tutor.
This is not as complicated as it sounds. All you have to figure out is the ages of your students, the curriculum, the charges (prices), and the location (online or in-person).
Actually, you have options:
- Teach from your home – perfect for stay-at-home moms and the elderly
- Make use of local libraries. Some of them offer free space for classes
- Self-publish an ebook. Remember to include high-quality images showing tutorials
- Create online classes and upload them to Udemy, SkillShare, etc
To make your coaching courses take off, consider getting certified by relevant authorities.
Start a blog
Still, asking how to make money crocheting in India? Blogging could be your answer.
It is perfect for you if you:
- Love writing
- Sharing new designs and exciting new things about crocheting
- Have sizeable social media following
Go ahead and start a blog where you can connect with your audience on a more intimate level, build your brand, and grow your business.
I must warn you though:
Blogging takes time.
You will not see results within the first, second, or even fourth month. But doesn’t mean you should give up.
With exceptional work and consistency, your breakthrough is surely coming. And to make money with the blog, consider the following ideas:
- Selling products
- Creating and selling courses
- Partnering with brands (sponsorships)
- Affiliate marketing
Armed with your crocheting knowledge, you don’t have to create products to make money. Implement this idea and start seeing results even without leaving your living room.
What to do next
There you have it, how to make money crocheting in India ideas explained. Now it is up to you to try out these ideas and see which one works best for you.
Remember the secret to success is in hard work and consistency.
Share this article and your friends will thank you.