Basic trimming, mowing, and landscape design is a whole business to venture into.
As more and more people continue to build homes, real estates, and commercial buildings, the demand for landscaping and lawn care rises.
Because of course, no one wants to have a shaggy looking lawn, an irregular untrimmed fence and flowers, and an irregular terrain around their compound?
This kind of business has grown proportionally to the high demand to secure a place among the most profitable business ideas in Kenya in 2020.
The frequency and repetitive nature of the kind of work to be done make it even easier to start the business. And the pay is so lucrative.
If you are thinking of venturing into this kind of business, don’t dive in yet, we are not done.
Instead, ask yourself how much you really need to set up such a business?
What tools and equipment are basic in starting the business?
Where would be a suitable location for your office? How much you can earn with the Landscaping and Lawn Care Business; and more.
It is only after getting answers to these questions that you will truly know that Landscaping and Lawn Care Business is among the most profitable businesses in Kenya in 2020.
What’s the Best Location for a Landscaping and Lawn Care Business.
Do you really require a specific location?
May be an office for bookings if starting on a large scale. You can acquire one as you grow from a small scale too.
What really matters is marketing your Landscaping and Lawn Care Business.
Market yourself on social media and even talk to people about your services so they can hook you up someday when they need you.
You can make pamphlets and drop them to people in offices, hotels, schools, churches, or even on the streets.
That is how networks are made and even if they may not need you today, they may mention you to someone who needs your services.
Large scale operators can even place Google ads, Facebook, Instagram, and any other social media platform ads. That way you are likely to meet potential clients online.
For an office, make sure to locate along a busy road or street and make the branding so visible that no one can miss it.
Doing so will capture the attention of potential clients into your office for bookings.
You can also conveniently locate near residential estates, homes, and commercial building which require your services most.
Ensure to leave your contacts in pamphlets, ads, business cards, office, or individual interaction. They may know someone or even they themselves may need your services later.
What’s Required for Starting up a Landscaping and Lawn Care Business?
- Carry out market research – understand more about the market as concerns the field. Know where landscaping and lawn care are in high demand to know where to locate your business. Know if the market is flooded with similar businesses or there is still a gap to exploit.
- Decide whether to start on a small or large scale – according to your market research findings and how deep your pocket is, make a decision whether you will start big or small.
- Acquire premises – Large scale starters need an office for bookings and attending to clients who seek their services. Small scale starters can also consider acquiring an office as they grow. Get premises close to potential clients like real estates, homes and commercial buildings in town. Brand it so well and renovate.
- Acquire the basic business license which is the County Council Single Business Permit – it costs Ksh. 5,000 – Ksh. 15,000 per year depending on your county.
Assemble the following basic equipment:
- Get sophisticated equipment as you grow or as you start if you have enough money.
Market your Landscaping and Lawn Care Business thoroughly:
- If you can, create a website and get it optimized for Key Words like Landscaping in Nairobi, Lawn Management, and so on.
- If you can, place ads on Google, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms to capture clients there.
- Hire reliable individuals to help you perform the tasks if you are offered large contracts.
- Start your business once you get your first client and continue building lasting relationships with your clients. Offer the best and quality services. This enables you to profit big time from clients recommending others to you.
How much capital do you need to start this kind of business?
How much is enough to get you on your feet running your Landscaping and Lawn Care Business?
A good lawn mower may cost you about Ksh.15,000 – Ksh.20,000.
Other equipment and gear may cost you about Ksh.30,000 and so with about Ksh.70,000 – Ksh.100,000 you will be enough to start a small scale business.
Large scale starters will require about Ksh.150,000 – Ksh.200,000 as they have more expenses to cater to and more equipment to purchase.
How profitable is this kind of business?
Grass cutting using the lawnmower alone may earn you Ksh. 2,000 for a small lawn and even about Ksh. 10,000 for a larger lawn. It all depends on how big the lawn is and how much work there is to do.
Other tasks like leveling up the terrain, raking, trimming flowers and fences, and watering plants and flowers will see your earnings skyrocketing to even about Ksh. 20,000 – Ksh. 40,000 on that workday.
As we already mentioned, it all depends on how much work there is to do.
Good links and constant clientele will see you smiling all the way to the bank.