Did you know that you can wash people’s clothes for pay?
Well, it is possible in any part of Kenya. And you can do so either manually or with the help of a washing machine. Such a business is called laundry.
Dry cleaning comes in when you decide to use a dry cleaner to perform the task.
This kind of business has picked so well to become one of the most profitable businesses in Kenya in 2020. You can do it as a side hustle or your main gig and you will be surprised at how much it can transform your finances.
Let us dive into the details about the Laundry and Dry Cleaning Business.
Use this guide to learn how you can start and run one to become an owner of one of the most profitable ventures in 2020.
Best Location for a Laundry Business in Kenya
Whether a small or a large scale investor, you will need a kind of an office where clients can locate you physically. Here, they will come to drop-off and pick-up their clothes.
If you can afford, rent a big spacious working area which also accommodates an office.
If you can only afford to start small, just rent a small premise for drop-off and pick-up and then work from the backyard or anywhere where you are not exposed to so much cost.
Basically what we are emphasizing is an office, whether large or small, for drop-offs and pick-ups.
Now, this needs to be strategically located on a busy street. You can brand so conspicuously that potential clients will locate you at a glance. If you do so, the huge profitability of this business in Kenya will become a reality to you.
Requirements for starting your Laundry and Dry Cleaning business in 2020.
You will require the following, both for your reception or office and your working area:-
- Furniture – work on a closet for storing clothes that are ready for pick up. Chairs, tables and other furniture are important too. You can work on the whole office or the working area to give it a pleasant look. This may cost approximately about Ksh.30,000.
Acquire the relevant licensing:
- County Council Single Business Permit – Ksh.5,000 – Ksh.35,000 per year depending on the county.
- County Council Outdoor Advertising and Signage Permit – that is for some counties who may require you to pay for outdoor marketing if you will maybe use a signboard or banner to attract clients.
- Music Copyright Society of Kenya (MCSK) License – If you must play music publicly in your business, then you will require this license. Alternatively, don’t play music to cut on cost.
- Fire Clearance Certificate – this will be required if you intend to set up your business in Nairobi County.
- Assemble the following equipment:
- Washing Machine – small investors can purchase a small machine at about Ksh.50,000 which handles 6-7Kgs laundry load per cycle. As your business grows or if you want to start big, you can acquire a big machine at about Ksh.200,000 which handles a much bigger load of laundry.
- A Dryer – Ksh.20,000
- Iron Box – Ksh.4,500
- Ironing Board – Ksh.5,000
- Folding board – Ksh.5,000
- Detergents and washing agents – Ksh.5,000
- Decide how much to charge – ask around how other laundries charge so that you do not overcharge or undercharge, adversely affecting your business.
- Market your business – Word of mouth, social media marketing, and posters together with signboards may help in marketing. You can go a mile further to offer your clients quality services. You can even pick-up and drop-off their laundry, distinguishing yourself from other businesses to stem competition, but be established first.
How Much Capital Is Needed for a Laundry and Dry Cleaning Business Startup?
Renting premises, licensing, and acquiring equipment may require a reasonable amount of starting capital. Ksh.170,000 – Ksh.200,000 will be enough for a start.
Are dry cleaners profitable in Kenya?
A good flow of clients will bring your dream to a reality. An income of about Ksh.100,000 monthly which I don’t think is a mean feat.
Better days and more promotion and marketing together with client trust will see you earning even more than this. Isn’t this indeed, among the topmost profitable businesses in Kenya today? Your guess must be yes, to which I concur.
Request for a Ready-to-Use Laundry and Dry Cleaning Business Plan Pdf