As a freelance writer, the initial step is the most difficult in finding a writing gig.
There are so many writers out there with more experience at freelancing than you do.
And they have a larger client base than you currently do.
Simply put, there is still competition in Online Writing making it very difficult for new writers to get a share of the market.
However, there are still several easy ways to position yourself in the freelance writing business to get hired amidst that stiff competition.
In this post we list 10 easy ways to get your first writing job online.
Prefered for newbies but experienced writers can also use the tips to get more clients.
To begin with: –
- 1 1. Cold Pitching
- 2 2. Guest posts
- 3 3. Warm-pitching
- 4 4. Advertise on your social media
- 5 5. Use online marketing tools
- 6 6. Create an account on a freelancing platform
- 7 7. Respond to Job advertisements
- 8 8. Look for local clients
- 9 9. Contests
- 10 10. Start a blog
- 11 More Ways to Make Money Online
1. Cold Pitching
One of the best ways to get a gig is to cold-pitch. It is very bold as it involves approaching potential clients who may not have expressed need. As a freelancer, you need to be constantly marketing yourself to clients.
In writing the clients could be bloggers, companies without an online presence and new websites.
- Demo Account
- :MT4 Integration
- :Supports All Devices
- :Fast Payouts
- :Instant Deposits
- :Available on all devices
- :101 Trading Tools
- :Demo Account Available
- :Trading Signals Available
- :24/7 Support
- :Trading Community
To be more effective in your cold-pitch, you need to;
- Find the right client
- Be brief and to the point
- Explain what you have to offer
- Speak to the client’s needs
- Establish credibility with a few work samples
- Follow up
2. Guest posts
To jump-start your career, you can do posts on others’ websites for free as a guest.
What makes it hard for clients to pick beginner writers is that they cannot see your work and if you don’t have sample work to show, you end up with situations like this: –
Writing guest posts makes it easy for potential clients to find you. It also helps you establish credibility when pitching to other clients.
Websites that allow guest posts are several, but here are a few common ones you may want to try;
To find more sites that accept guest posts on google, search for the niche you are interested in plus (+) guest post e.g Health and Wellness + “Guest Posts”
This is a softer way to pitch. It is not as bold.
Warm pitching involves following potential clients, keeping tabs on them and their opportunities. You can also find ways to get involved passively in their community by writing comments, sharing opinions before you eventually express interest.
The best place to get these kind of opportunity is in LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Medium, Tumblr, Instagram, Baidu…
If you have a large following, you can advertise your services through your social media.
All you have to do is express availability and the kind of services you offer.
Some professional networking sites that can help with this include: –
5. Use online marketing tools
Many online tools help you market your services like About me. About me adds an addon automatically to all your emails and messages where someone can click and find out the services you offer.
Contently is another marketing tool for freelancers. It enables you to share your samples.
Other tools include: –
6. Create an account on a freelancing platform
Using a freelancing website is perhaps the easiest way to find your first writing job.
They compile all listings for you, serve as payment middlemen and even have writing tools to help you start your freelancing journey.
All you have to do is bid on several jobs and hope to be picked for freelancing projects.
Freelance writing job websites include: –
7. Respond to Job advertisements
This is perhaps the most obvious way to get your first writing job online or offline. There are always listing on websites for writers if you know where to look.
8. Look for local clients
People ignore this, but it is a very efficient way.
Sometimes, the gig is closer than you think.
Network with the businesses around to find out if they have opportunities for you.
You could also speak to those you know and ask for referrals.
When using sites such as freelancer, you may face a bit of difficulty when placing bids for jobs as a beginner.
Mostly, in terms of experience profile, you’ll rank the lowest among the bidders.
Contests are a neutral ground for all to freelancers to participate.
They do not guarantee payment, so most freelancers avoid it. This makes it easier for you as a newbie to win the contest and build your profile.
Some of the easy contests available online include: –
- Logo design contests
- Storytelling contests
- Designing branded stationery
- Graphics design
- Shirts design
- And more.
10. Start a blog
If you are having trouble getting your work out there. Maybe you haven’t found contests or guest-posting opportunities for your niche. You could always start a blog.
Having your blog or website allows you to manage your content. You are your boss and you give yourself and others’ gigs.
For your site to pick up, it may take a while and a lot of effort on your part. Eventually, it pays off.
Another advantage of writing your blog is that it establishes your credibility as a writer. When applying for other online gigs, you stand a better chance at getting orders.
That is because you now have the experience that clients have been looking for in pitches.
As a freelance writer, you don’t have a salary that is guaranteed. You earn as you work.
Finding work is therefore crucial not just as a beginner but even as you carry on. All these methods mastered, will make your first landing writing job a lot easier.
More Ways to Make Money Online
- How to Build a Website With $59 And Sell for Ksh. 300,000 in 5 Months
- 7 Easy Ways to Make Money Fast | Close to No Investment Needed
- Kenyan Bloggers Making Ksh. 1 M Monthly | Kenyans.co.ke in The List
- How I Earn Ksh. 100,000 Monthly Blogging in Kenya
- 7 Ideal Startup Ideas That Will Make You Rich Overnight
- Make $1,000 Monthly While Living in Nairobi Without a Job
- Free Freelance Writing Course | Move From Earning $1.5 to $100 Per Post
- Start an eCommerce Business in Kenya With Ksh. 1,599
- Use These Tips, Tricks And Cheats to Win More in Expert Option
- How to Earn $30,000 Yearly By Doing Online Freelance Proofreading Jobs
- 10 Easy Ways to Land Your First Writing Job Online
- 17 Easy Ways to Make Money on the Internet
- I’ll Show You How to Make $30,000 Yearly Doing These Legit Online Jobs
- 11 Internet Marketing Sites to Pitch for a Paid Guest Posting Opportunity
- Online Jobs | 9 Blogs That Pay Freelance Online Writers for Guest Posts
- 9 Easy Ways to Raise Ksh. 100,000 in Less Than a Week
- 9 Work at Home Jobs With Consistent Gigs & Lucrative Pay
- Freelance Writing | How I Earn $200 Regularly as a Travel Writer