Admit it! you want to start a small business in 2019 – to enhance your saving habit , get a few extra bucks for investment. Or as backup – for when you lose your job or retire. And honestly, starting a business is the best decision that you can ever make as a young person securing a stable future.
As long as the business stands, it doesn’t matter the reasons you have for the startup.
However, when making that brave decision to commit so much money into any business, you want to be sure that it will payback the invested amount in due course.
But what’s that profitable business that guarantees returns in the shortest time?
Is it a saloon business, a beauty shop, a cosmetics supply store, a barber shop or Forex ?
I’m not sure.
I’d like to read your thoughts about this topic in the comment section. But first things first.
In today’s edition of Joon Business Ideas we discuss the cost of starting a cosmetic shop in Kenya; we point you to the direction of some fast-moving beauty products; connect you with the best cosmetics suppliers in the region & show you how to stock your beauty shop with consignment deals to reduce your inventory cost by at least 50%.
How Much Does it Cost to Start a Cosmetics Business in Kenya?
Well, let’s explore two different beauty shop startup options.
1. Starting a Beauty Shop Online.
What you need: –
- Social Pages with traffic – It costs nothing to own a Facebook page, an Instagram (Kylie Jenifer built a multi million cosmetics business on Instagram) page & twitter. Your social network will be your primary target market. It helps if the largest following is ladies.
- You need a website – While it may be easy to just post your products on social media & hope for sales; you need something more solid to announce your relevance & to show the credibility of your business You can easily build a website by yourself in a few minutes. It only costs Ksh. 1,599/= (for one year). An alternative is to pay me Ksh. 10,000 to help you do it.
- You need to make an inventory of what you will be selling – It could be on paper & you only drop-ship when you have an order.
(Drop-shipping is a retail fulfillment method where a store doesn’t keep the products it sells in stock. Instead, when a store sells a product, it purchases the item from a third-party & has it shipped directly to the customer. As a result, the merchant never sees or handles the product)
Ask me how much you will need to start a beauty shop the online way!
I think 2,000/= is enough.
2. Opening a Physical Beauty Shop
For a physical store, there is a lot more involved than just a website (optional) & a physical address. You will need to register your business name, get a business permit from your county government , design your store & stock it.
The Actual cost of opening a physical beauty shop offline is around : – Ksh. 100,000
- Cost of rent (varies by county, location & building structure) In Kisumu the average rental cost of a stall in town is Ksh. 7,000
- The average cost of a business permit in Kisumu is Ksh. 5,000 & Ksh. 7,000 depending on size & location of store (Done on eCitizen)
- Business name registration costs an average of Ksh. 1,000 (done on eCitizen) you will need it if you want supplies on credit & to open a business account.
- Initial stock will cost at least Ksh. 50,000 (Could be less depending on what product you want to stock most & wholesale price)
- Cost of shelves & front display – budget for at least Ksh. 30,000
The Best Selling Beauty Shop Products in Kenya
To get your invested capital back in a short time, here’s what to sell in your cosmetics store. They move like wild-fire.
- Makeup and Skin Care Products – Stock brands that are loved. You can get this info from your suppliers
- Quality Hair extensions
Hair care Products
- Beauty Accessories
- Body lotion
- Deo sprays
- Hair lotions, food and sprays
- Artificial Nails
Did I miss anything?
You need to stock that too.
Cosmetic Wholesalers in Kenya
There are very many wholesale stores for cosmetics in Nairobi downtown Nairobi – along River Road & Dubious Road.
If you don’t have so much time to window shop for the best prices then you can just make a direct order from this recommendation list.
- Best-lady Cosmetics
- Beauty Wholesale Kenya Limited
Reones Beauty & Cosmetic Supplies
How To Stock Your Beauty Shop Without Spending So Much Money
Because there is so much demand for beauty products, there is certainty that your beauty shop will scale so fast that you may not meet some of your orders.
But remind me again,
what’s the reason why you wanted to start the cosmetics business?
Is it to make money?
Then you must make sure that all orders are met.
One of the easiest ways to ensure that you have enough stock to serve your demand is by partnering with cosmetics manufactures & wholesalers.
Show them that you can move their products fast & you may get free consignment to pay when you sell. Some companies allow monthly payments. Others insist on weekly payments.
The best part about this deal is, you only pay when you sell. But you want to be in this business & build an empire. So, be enthusiastic, sell the most products & make prompt payments.
How to Make Your Cosmetics Sell
- Open your beauty shop regularly
- Market on social media (Has worked for Kylie Jenifer with her lip kit cosmetic now estimated to be worth $800 in under 2 years of operation)
- Get the best location for your store
- Sell a variety of cosmetics products
- Buy cheap from wholesalers & sell fairly to clients. Best prices help in customer retention.
- Speaking of customer retention (serve your customers well) they’ll always go back where they felt at home.
- Blog about your business to get targeted traffic
Did I miss anything in the article? Let’s discuss in the comment section.