Look at the image below, what do you see? I see statistics of a small business that’s only 5 months old but keeps growing fast like wildfire.
How about the next image, what do you see?
I see statistics showing the average worth of this 5 months old website to be $3,000. That’s about Ksh. 300,000. Give or take.
This also means that if I (the owner) wanted to sell this business now, I’d sell it for a figure not less than Ksh. 300,000. Again, that’s subject for debate – if the actual revenue of Joon Online is anything to go by.
There are very many small businesses to start in Kenya today. Most of which require you to invest a starting capital of (sometimes) Ksh. 10,000 and wait for 5 months before seeing profits.
And even if you hit the six months waiting period; there is still no guarantee that you will make money – leave alone getting back your invested amount.
Blogging on the other hand helps you start making income immediately.
If you haven’t figured it out already, owning a blog or a website is the only small business that guarantees profits of over Ksh. 300,000 in less months.
And in this post I will show you how to build and flip websites for lump-sum profits.
But first, let’s see how to build a blog and review the cost of starting a website flipping business.
Website Flipping – This is The Only Small Business Idea Which Guarantees Ksh. 300,000 Profits in 5 Months Only
What is Website Flipping?
Website flipping is the art of building new websites/blogs and selling. Or buying ready made websites, improving them; then selling for better profits.
A website flipper will buy a new website/blog which they feel has potential to grow in value; enhance it to improve revenue streams and make it look better — then sell it.
Why you should start your website flipping business today
Flipping websites has very many benefits — ranging from: –
- Low starting capital – as a beginning flipper you can start by building your own niche websites. Niche websites are websites which focus on a specific subject – example: – finance, health, beauty, entertainment… name it.
They are easy to build and may cost only Ksh. 5,900 tops – for a website which you can sell for not less than Ksh. 300,000 in 5 months.
2. You can earn from your blog while building or improving it – Assuming you decided to start a blog/website from scratch, you can earn money from the website by monetization through ads, affiliate marketing or direct sales.
An alternative to starting a new website is to buy an existing one. And buying an existing website is also good because they come as businesses already making money – and you will continue to earn as the owners did – even while improving it to sell for a better price.
3. You can make your new blog – your full time business – if you are ok with what a website is making as at when you buy it; you can keep it and continue to earn money from it.
Below is an example of a website that many people would want to hold on.
How to Build a Website for $59 And Sell for Ksh. 300,000 in 5 Months
If you don’t have a lot of money to buy a website with the hope of selling for a better price in future, then just build yours from scratch.
The advantage of doing this is, you get the chance to steer your new website towards achieving a saleable status in whatever time frame you want. If you want, you can even sell it in 3 months– for so much.
Remember, this is a game of numbers and if you can show growth and financial prosperity in your figures then people will be fighting to buy from you.
How to make a website from scratch – It is easy – anyone can do it
Step 1. – Choose a niche for your website
The first step to building a new website is to identify a niche which your business will focus on.
Here’s a list of niche Ideas that work: –
- Personal Finance
- Digital photography
- Interior design
- Health and wellness
- Web design
- Personal style
- Nature living and family life
- Men’s life
- Career success
- Animals and pets
- Art and culture
- WordPress tutorials
- Environmental pollution
- Travel and photography
Step 2 – Identify how to make money with the niche
There are very many different ways of making money with a niche blog.
Some of the easiest ways include: –
- Advertising – use ad networks like google adsense or just sell your ad spaces directly
- Write eBooks on your niche and sell
- Affiliate marketing
- Make digital tools or softwares and sell
- Sell your own products
- Sell photographs
- Offer paid consultancy services
- Offer premium access subscription for products
- Sell merchandise
- Sell tickets
Step 3 – Chose a user friendly domain name
A domain name is the address which your blog will be found at.
Example, the domain name in this website is joon.co.ke – easy to remember right?
Let’s see if you can also find something this simple.
Try different domain names in the bluehost tool below to find your own address.
Domain names are free of charge in Bluehost.
Step 4 – Claim your Free Domain by paying for a hosting plan
This deal on Bluehost is sweet because elsewhere, domain names are sold for as low as $10 and you still have to pay for hosting to have your website on the internet.
At Bluehost the cheapest hosting subscription is $3.95 per month. If you pay for the whole year the price can reduce to $2.65 which translates to about $59 for a whole year.
If you buy your hosting through the links in Joon, you can either contact me on – firstname.lastname@example.org to have me set up your blog for free or continue to read to learn how to set to set it up yourself.
Step 5 – Install WordPress
After paying for hosting (Visit Bluehost to pay), you will receive an email with login details to the back-end of your website; cpanel.
- Use the link provided on email to login to Cpanel
- Scroll to find “1 click install” – it is at the bottom of your cpanel
- Locate the WordPress icon and click to install
- Choose the domain where you want to install your WordPress – get a free domain address in bluehost
- Now click on the “Install Now button” to finish your set up – you will get the credentials for logging in to your website on email.
Step 5 – Install a theme for your website
Login to your new website and arrange it to your flair by choosing the best theme for your website.
Note – there are thousands of free themes to choose from.
Step 6 – Install Plugins for your website
Did I already mention that WordPress is a free for all open source code for developing websites?
I’m so sorry – this should have come at the top. Yes, WordPress is free to use – so are its themes and plugins.
Plugins help you customize your website for a specific functionality.
For example, a WordPress theme does not come with share buttons which enables your content to be shared by visitors.
Therefore, you will install it manually to enable the sharing functionality – e.g add to any plugin is good for this purpose and it allows sharing to all social networks including whatsapp.
List of Top WordPress Plugins to Enhance Your Website Design
- DigiWidgets Plugin for image editing
- Table press plugin – for web design
- Elementor page builder plugin – for web design
- Photo gallery plugin by WO
- Meta Slider plugin
- Instagram feed plugin for linking your instagram account
- Facebook widget for facebook feeds
- WP smush – used to make the site run fast
- Easy google fonts plugin for fonts
- Youtube video plugin
- Akismet anti-spam plugin
- Classic editor plugin – to make your writing easy
- Cookie Bar plugin Jetpack plugin by WordPress
Now it’s time to create your content
Remember, you made this website to earn money with it.
It ain’t gonna earn you anything if you don’t post your best content frequently.
Having the best content will: –
- Get you indexed fast on google – to start receiving organic traffic
- Having the best content will convince your visitors to buy your products
- And having the best content will also make your website appealing to potential buyers.
With the site ready and the content up to date, it is now time to maximize the earning potential of this new business.
- Apply for google adsense to start earning when google ads are shown to your visitors
- Apply for affiliate marketing opportunities which resonate with your niche and earn when you sell
- Sell your own uniques products
- Write eBook about your niche and sell for profits
- Accept sponsored content on your blog
- Sell advertising space
How much is your website worth now?
If you want to continue earning monthly income with your website, good for you. And good luck.
If you feel that now is the best time to sell your business; try to find out how much it is worth before listing it for sale.
How to find the worth of a website
Use analysis tools like worth of web.
The reason why I recommend that you analyse your website before listing is — to find out an average figure to list fo.
Trust me, if you hurry to list and someone is soon interested in buying; he’ll also do te same damn analysis and either buy cheaply or walk away if your website is overpriced.
Advertise your website for sale
If you are ok with the figures you’ve seen on worth of web or any other analysis tool, go ahead and list it for sale.
Here’s a list of marketplaces for website flipping
- Digital point forum
- Web Hosting Talk
- Website Broker
- Acquisition Direct
Finding a Buyer for Your Business
With your website now listed and ready for sale, expect to receive interested buyers bidding for your business.
The best way to get the best deal is to keep replying to bidder messages and you will soon find someone willing to buy for the price you want.
Found a Buyer Already?
Transfer the legal ownership of the website and get paid
Because you don’t know who you are dealing with on the other side of the world; try to find out more about them by researching their history of purchase on the flipping website you are using.
If they have good reviews, go ahead and transfer the ownership of the website.
If you use Fippa.com to sell, you can receive payments through: –
- Flippa Escrow
Go for the last two payment methods if you are sure about getting paid in full. And the Flippa Escrow way if you have trust issues.
However, it will take 3 to 7 days to get paid. And some fees will be passed over to you for the transaction.
Again, if you haven’t claimed your free Bluehost domain, do it here. Try as many names as you can to find a fitting domain.